What’s the Project?
Primary care professionals like GPs are seeing more young people with symptoms of anxiety and depression and there is growing concern about the impacts of social media on young adult’s mental health.
We are interested in interviewing young adults (18-25) to understand the impact of social media on mental health, why young adults with anxiety and depression may or may not ask for help from primary care professionals like GPs and nurses about social media and what kinds of support are received.
Understanding the role social media plays in mental health could help to improve care for young adults and might help to address problems earlier.
What’s the opportunity?
We are seeking around 20 young adults to attend a 30–45-minute online Microsoft Teams call that can be arranged around your schedule. You will be asked to provide your thoughts and experiences of social media and mental health and if any experiences of seeking help from primary care (GP).
What’s required of me?
- With lived experience
- Stable internet connection
- Some experience of social media (e.g. WhatsApp, TikTok, Snapchat)
- Speak English
- Live in the UK
What will be provided?
You will receive a £20 voucher for attending the interview and there may be opportunities to be involved in further research.
I’m interested! Who do I contact?
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email ([email protected] ) with brief answers to the following questions:
- What is your name?
- What is your date of birth?
- Sometimes after talking about topics like mental health, people feel they need a little extra support or someone to chat to. What support do you currently have in place (e.g. supportive friends, family, health professionals or mental health charities)? Is there anything that [Ruth] could do to support you or make your involvement experience better?
- How did you hear about this opportunity?
You are welcome to send your responses in audio or video format if preferred! If you need any help completing your expression of interest, you can get in touch with Ruth
What’s the deadline to apply?
5pm on Monday 31st August 2023